Programme ‘For sustainable accommodation in Paris’.
Since 2012, the Paris Convention and Visitors Bureau has been mobilizing hoteliers. After self-assessment via an online tool, establishments are visited in order to broaden their sustainable actions. Practical tools are given to them and themed workshops are offered. Once the required level has been reached, the official signing of the charter ‘For sustainable accommodation in Paris’ is organized and communication increased. For 3 years, the signatory institutions undertake to:
- Promote the values of sustainable development both in its running of the hotel and in its relations with all its associates (transparency, ethics, observance of legislation and rules and regulations, respect for human rights, etc.);
- Reduce its energy and water consumption;
- Reduce and optimize its waste;
- Have an eco-responsible purchasing policy;
- Raise suppliers’ and collaborators’ awareness of sustainable development;
- Share the values of sustainable development with its hotel guests andencourage them to become involved in this ecological approach throughout their stay;
- Welcome disabled (physical, sensory or mental) guests in the best possible conditions and offer them appropriate information on accessibility to tourism establishments and activities;
- Improve the working conditions of its collaborators and their well-being at work;
- Highlight the natural and cultural heritage of Paris and the Paris region;
- Measure its progress, continue to improve its initiatives and communicate about them to others.
International green approaches in Paris
Many Parisian hotels have decided to obtain labels or certifications in order to construct and better promote their eco-friendly initiatives.
|Charters, standards, labels||Subject||Evaluation|
|Green Globe||International certification. The structure must fulfil more than 50% of the 380 concrete and sector-specific criteria.||Environment|
|European Ecolabel||Official European Union label, managed in France by AFNOR Certification, with about one hundred or so criteria.||Environment||Audit|
|Clef Verte / Green Key||Private label offering a reference system of about one hundred criteria. Present in 57 countries.||Environment||Dossier studied by a judging panel|
|Biorismo||Private label. The only measure 100% dedicated to biodiversity in the tourism and leisure sector, with around one hundred criteria.||Biodiversity||Dossier and online audit|
|Other measures||Not specific to the events sector, so applicable to all: ISO 14001 (environment), ISO 9001 (quality), OHSAS 18001 (Health and Security), Diversity Label (non-discrimination), Global Compact (Social and Market), Label LUCIE (RSE (Corporate social responsibility) initiative), Tourisme Green Impulse (reporting RSE), Tourisme & Handicap (accessibility of buildings, sites and facilities), Imprim’vert (printers), HQE / LEED / BREEAM (efficient buildings)…|
Take inspiration from good, simple and virtuous practices
Here are some examples of initiatives taken by hotels:
- 100% organic or fair-trade breakfast.
- Use of eco-labelled cleaning products.
- Replacement of traditional bulbs by LED bulbs.
- Technical and financial support for local associations.
- Improvement of building insulation and use of an urban heating network for heating.
- Installation of a hive or vegetable garden on the roof.
- Investment in equipment to prevent musculoskeletal disorders in housekeeping staff.
Find other eco-friendly suppliers in Paris:
CONVENTION.PARISINFO.com / Eco-friendly PCOs and DMCs
CONVENTION.PARISINFO.com / Eco-friendly event venues
CONVENTION.PARISINFO.com / Eco-friendly caterers
CONVENTION.PARISINFO.com / Eco-friendly transport
CONVENTION.PARISINFO.com/ Eco-friendly activities and entertainment