Simple guidelines to follow
Organizing an event is first of all about the movement of people and equipment from one place to another. Wherever they come from, two types of mobility should be considered:
Getting to Paris, then setting off again after event:
- Paris is at the centre of the European rail network and has daily connections to major cities in Europe. You can encourage the use of rail transport, through communication and through a reduced fare negotiable with SNCF Connect for approved trade shows and congresses (for journeys on French soil).
- The road network leading to Paris is particularly dense. There are permanent bus lines and carpooling links between Paris and other European capitals and major French cities. Some platforms offer trips linked to events. Partnerships with these suppliers make it easier to get to the event.
Travelling around Paris to get to the event venue(s):
- Paris has a high-quality, diversified and dense public transport system (bus, metro, RER, tramway, train). The entire city is easily accessible by public transport, day and night. In addition, Parisian buses will be 100% ecological by 2025. Passes can be provided for the duration of the event, while maps and practical information are provided on communication materials for the event.
- Paris is a pioneer in non-motorized transport, particularly with its Vélib' service, but also with the development of cycle paths, traffic lanes and parking spaces adapted to electric vehicles. Less-conventional transport also exists (bicycle-taxis, horse-drawn carriages or carts, etc.).
- Event venues can offer bicycle racks, parking spaces with charging stations, or parking for carpooling or shared vehicles. The communication on these developments encourages the use of alternative transport.
- Event venues can provide bike racks, parking places with recharging points for electric vehicles, or even parking for carpooling or shared vehicles. Communicating about these facilities encourages the use of alternative transport.
- Shuttle services with hybrid or electric vehicles are to be preferred. Ensure that drivers are trained in eco-driving. In particular, the optimization of journeys and transfers ensuring that vehicles are as full as possible to make it possible to reduce the number of kilometres travelled per person transported.
- Taxi and private hire vehicles with driver, suppliers and requests to be put in contact with drivers provide an eco-friendly option, particularly with electric or hybrid cars.
Reduce greenhouse gas emissions (GHG)
Reducing this impact is a priority. Efforts must focus on solutions that avoid or reduce vehicle emissions: Organizing an event that avoids travel or uses videoconferencing, anticipation and management of traffic flows, choice of clean vehicles, public transport, shuttles or taxis or ‘green’ private hire vehicles with driver, preferential rates for pedestrians and cyclists, etc.
However, there is still a share of GHG emissions that is not reducible. Compensation should then be encouraged. It can be the responsibility of the organizers and/or proposed to participants should they wish so. In this case, it is important to convey this option to encourage them in this initiative. A carbon offset consists in contacting a specialist operator from whom the user acquires a number of ‘carbon’ units corresponding to the volume of GHGs he wish they offset. The amount paid for this purpose then contributes to the financing of a specific project to reduce emissions or capture carbon.
Finally, the evaluation of the event's carbon emissions should be planned for. Data on this is often expected by prescribers and participants. Similarly, transport companies (including the RATP, SNCF Connect, taxi or private-hire vehicle companies ...) will inform you of the carbon impact of their services on their website or on request.
Find other eco-friendly suppliers in Paris:
CONVENTION.PARISINFO.com / Eco-friendly PCOs and DMCs
CONVENTION.PARISINFO.com / Eco-friendly event venues
CONVENTION.PARISINFO.com / Eco-friendly accommodation
CONVENTION.PARISINFO.com / Eco-friendly caterers
CONVENTION.PARISINFO.com/ Eco-friendly activities and entertainment